DATA PROTECTION POLICY
Last updated January 22, 2022
The use of all personal data by West Africa Peace and Security Innovation (WAPSI) is governed by:
- The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA)
We are committed to protecting your personal information and your right to privacy. If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy notice or our practices with regard to your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below we provide users with information as to
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Share Your Information
- How Long We Keep Your Information
- How We Safe-Guard Your Information
- Information from Minors
- Your Privacy Rights
- Controls For Do-Not-Track Features
- Updates To This Notice
- How You Contact Us About This Notice
- How You Review, Update Or Delete The Data We Collect From You
- Account means a unique account created for You to access our Service or parts of our Service.
- Company (referred to as either “the Company”, “We”, “Us” or “Our” in this Agreement) refers to WAPSI.
- Cookies are small files that are placed on Your computer, mobile device or any other device by a website, containing the details of Your browsing history on that website among its many uses.
- Device means any device that can access the Service such as a computer, a cellphone or a digital tablet.
- Personal Data is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
- Service refers to the Website.
- Service Provider means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Company. It refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by the Company to facilitate the Service, to provide the Service on behalf of the Company, to perform services related to the Service or to assist the Company in analyzing how the Service is used.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Website refers to www.wapsi-forum.org, accessible from www.wapsi-forum.org
- You means the individual accessing or using the Service, or the company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Service, as applicable.
We are a Data Controller of your information.
- WAPSI needs to perform a contract with you
- You have given WAPSI permission to do so
- Processing your personal information is in WAPSI legitimate interests
- WAPSI needs to comply with the law
Please read this privacy notice carefully, as it will help you understand what we do with the information that we collect.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
1.1. Personal Information You Disclose to Us
- We collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you register on the Website and when you participate in activities on the Website or otherwise when you contact us.
- The personal information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and the Website, The personal information we collect may include the following:
- Personal Information Provided by You.We collect titles; First name and last name; phone numbers; email addresses; job titles; passwords; and other similar information.
- All personal information that you provide to us must be true, complete and accurate, and you must notify us of any changes to such personal information.
1.2. Information automatically collected
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use or navigate the Website. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use our Website and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of our Website, and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use personal information for a variety of business purposes described below. We process your personal information for these purposes in reliance on our legitimate business interests, in order to enter into or perform a contract with you, with your consent, and/or for compliance with our legal obligations.
We use the information we collect or receive:
- To request feedback. We may use your information to request feedback
- To send administrative information to you. We may use your personal information to send you updates about our services and changes to our policies.
- To protect our Services. We may use your information as part of our efforts to keep our Website safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
- To enforce our terms, conditions and policies for business purposes, to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or in connection with our contract.
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
3. HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We may process or share your data that we hold based on the following legal basis:
- Consent: We may process your data if you have given us specific consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose.
- Legitimate Interests: We may process your data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests.
- Performance of a Contract: Where we have entered into a contract with you, we may process your personal information to fulfill the terms of our contract.
- Legal Obligations: We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vital Interests: We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
We also collect information through cookies and similar technologies.
The information we collect includes:
Log and Usage Data. Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our Website and which we record in log files. Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information, browser type and settings and information about your activity in the Website (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages and files viewed, searches and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called ‘crash dumps’) and hardware settings).
Device Data. We collect device data such as information about your computer, phone, tablet or other device you use to access the Website. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your IP address (or proxy server), device and application identification numbers, location, browser type, hardware model Internet service provider and/or mobile carrier, operating system and system configuration information.
Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Service may use local stored objects (or Flash Cookies) to collect and store information about Your preferences or Your activity on our Service. Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for Browser Cookies.
Web Beacons. Certain sections of our Service and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on Your personal computer or mobile device when You go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as You close Your web browser. We use both Session and Persistent Cookies
5. HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
6. HOW WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, despite our safeguards and efforts to secure your information, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorized third parties will not be able to bypass our security measures, and improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your information. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from our Website is at your own risk. You should only access the Website within a secure environment and ensure that any confidential access information like usernames and passwords are not accessible by any third party.
7. INFORMATION FROM MINORS
We do not knowingly solicit data from children under 18 years of age. If you become aware of any data we may have collected from children under age 18, please contact us at email@example.com.
8. YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- Right to be informed. The right to be told how their personal data is used in clear and transparent language.
- Right of access. The right to know and have access to the personal data we hold about them.
- Right to data portability. The right to receive their data in a common and machine-readable electronic format.
- Right to be forgotten. The right to have their personal data erased.
- Right to rectification. The right to have their personal data corrected where it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to object. The right to complain and to object to processing.
- Right to purpose limitation. The right to limit the extent of the processing of their personal data.
- Rights related to automated decision-making and profiling. The right not to be subject to decisions without human involvement.
If you have questions or comments about your privacy rights, you may contact our Data Protection Officer via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. CONTROLS FOR DO-NOT-TRACK FEATURES
Most web browsers and some mobile operating systems and mobile applications include a Do-Not-Track (“DNT”) feature or setting you can activate to signal your privacy preference not to have data about your online browsing activities monitored and collected. At this stage no uniform technology standard for recognizing and implementing DNT signals has been finalized. As such, we do not currently respond to DNT browser signals or any other mechanism that automatically communicates your choice not to be tracked online. If a standard for online tracking is adopted that we must follow in the future, we will inform you about that practice in a revised version of this privacy notice.
10. UPDATES TO THIS NOTICE
We may update this privacy notice from time to time. The updated version will be indicated by an updated “Revised” date and the updated version will be effective as soon as it is accessible. If we make material changes to this privacy notice, we may notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to review this privacy notice frequently to be informed of how we are protecting your information.
11. HOW YOU CONTACT US ABOUT THIS NOTICE
If you have questions or comments about this notice, you may contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO), Anthony Ambe, by email at email@example.com, by phone at +2347068537254, or by post to:
C/O Anthony Ambe #4 Masuku Close Durban Street, Ademola Adetokunbo Abuja, FCT Nigeria
12. HOW YOU REVIEW, UPDATE, OR DELETE THE DATA WE COLLECT FROM YOU
Based on the applicable laws of your country, you may have the right to request access to the personal information we collect from you, change that information, or delete it in some circumstances. To request to review, update, or delete your personal information, please contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO), Anthony Ambe, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at +2347068537254, or by post:
C/O. Anthony Ambe. #4 Masuku Close. Durban Street, Ademola Adetokunbo Abuja, FCT Nigeria